Was anyone else a little freaked out by the faces that were used to describe how our creativity and conceptualization process work…?
To be perfectly honest, I am beginning to find this book a little boring. Yes, it is interesting to learn how we work as humans and understand how our creative process should work, but something inside me is not being ecstatic about the new material presented. I am not engaged and nothing in this reading is enticing me to go on and learn more about what is being said (at least in the beginning of this chapter that is). The images are probably the only thing I have been looking forward to since reading this book. A lot of things are getting monotonous and repetitive. I want to be enthusiastic about the material, but it’s just not happening…
I did find something pretty insane when I was reading the section about brainstorming. When the author stated he had the “hardest time putting anything in [his] sketchbooks because [he] felt that everything had to be perfect and artistic,” I got the chills because that is exactly why I have not drawn in my sketchbook for quite some time. I know I am a much better artist when it comes to traditional work rather than digital media and I have always been ashamed whenever I can’t draw something spectacular. I constantly work and draw to make myself better, but I end up tossing most of my artwork because it’s not the best thing in the world. Perhaps I’m being too critical on myself, but now I know I should probably keep these random sketches and ideas in sketchbooks.
Even though I have been criticizing this book for repeating things that I already know, I must admit that I am getting some new things out of it (side note: contradicted myself here). For example, the do’s and don’ts section of “Presenting Concepts” was actually really helpful. It provided some advice that was useful, however, most of the topics covered I have already learned and sadly neglected to absorb in my process of presenting ideas. I will try to use them effectively, though.
The guest perspective at the end was quite intimidating for me. It made me worry about what career options will be open for me after graduation and if it is necessary for me to continue on to a graduate school. Things were different back in the past and everyday things are changing. Will there still be opportunities for us in the future and will it be possible for us to make a successful living as new designers? The uncertainty is killing me; let’s just hope for the best! Always think positive and best of luck to you with your future career!
Ohh I agree with you on the author's statement on the "hardest time putting anything in (his) sketchbooks because (he) felt that everything had to be perfect and artistic. I always have those kind of feelings and to avoid them, I don't even put things in my sketchbooks sometimes... unless I feel like drawing.
ReplyDelete