Just by reading the introduction of the book, my mind has been blown away. Although I already knew a few things that the author was mentioning (i.e. everything being an aspect of design), there was so much more that I did not know about the field. For example, the explanation about the design process was really interesting. I never knew reading something from a different person’s perspective could really pieces things together.
I find it rather interesting that the book strays away from the design process and shows how ideas we have can be brought into a different world, organized in a unique original form, and yet still keep its meaning. We are defined as problem solvers and decision makers as opposed to just designers. I really do appreciate the fact that the author explains more about the field of design and how we should perceive it because it will only benefit us in the end.
The map about how we will pursue our design journey was also very interesting. Reading the source material in a different, creative form kept my attention and it inspired me to try and identify the parts of this “journey” in my own career. I feel if more text books were organized in a way that used understandable metaphors and examples I would easily grasp the subject matter and have less trouble deciphering the meaning (yes, some may disagree with me, but I need to have things broken down and explained to me very clearly before I can understand anything).
All of the exercises provided were fascinating and it inspires me to try them all. I am not quite sure I understand reverse designing, however, but all of the other projects are very useful and I appreciate the guidelines provided at the end of the reading. I feel that just reading this material has made me into a better designer when it comes to brainstorming ideas, and I anticipate reading the rest of the book.
Imagine when we actually start applying all of the stuff we learn through class and the readings in our work.
ReplyDelete