Wednesday’s class was a little slow for me. Although I found the critiques we did to be very entertaining and somewhat useful, I felt that I didn’t receive much out of it (partly because standing for a while makes me lose concentration and focus). There were a few projects that I found very interesting and there were others that kind of confused me and made me think really hard. Trying to find the connection between a picture with one word or short phrase is actually more of a challenge that it sounds. Being able to get into the mind of a designer and understanding what he/she was thinking without him/her telling me what the connection is behind his/her work is a complex task—a little fun, but still difficult since everyone thinks differently.
Being able to see how others process their work and come out with something extremely different from my perspective is fascinating. Perhaps the one thing I got out from this class so far is being able to see how others work because it inspires me to open up my thought process and learn more about design. When we are narrow-minded, we are restricted to our own thoughts and perspective, and are ambiguous to other creative ideas. It’s best that we break out of our comfort zone and try something new to gain more inspiration and become better designers.
The second half of the class involved observing other design ads. I have seen a few of them before and all of them are witty, clever, and get their message across. Some may be better than others, but all in all they are very nice designs. The bulk of this session focused on the Band-Aid ad which I thought was humorous and still got its message across. I have seen this ad before, and I have always wondered what went through the designer’s mind when he/she came up with this design and how long it actually took this person to design it.
My creative thought process is subpar and it takes me a LONG time before I actually hit a great idea. I have tried various processes to get my brain moving and discover new ideas, but on very rare occasions will I ever find the best one. Yes, I have found good ideas during my thought process, but not yet have I discovered one that I can deem the best. Perhaps my standards are too high, but I am my toughest critic. I have not yet met my standards and I am determined to push myself until I succeed. Will I meet them this quarter? Not likely, but we’ll see!
No comments:
Post a Comment