Sunday, April 24, 2011

Blog Post 8

Wednesday’s class was about storytelling with just three pictures and I was nasally congested while trying to fight off an awful sore throat (which I still have in case you were wondering). We initially set up the room to display everyone’s images and determined which three images alone told a really good story. Although I misinterpreted the instructions, yet again, I have learned a life lesson to actually read and analyze instructions before actually executing a task.
The bulk of the class primarily consisted of analyzing the pictures together and figuring out the storylines between each set. After doing a brief exercise and going through ways as to better a story, we watched a video of John Maeda and his take on the simplicity of things. I found his talk to be very entertaining, but the speed at which he talked confused me just a little bit. The way he was able to describe where his inspiration comes in a very precise and quick manner was amazing. It inspires me to become a better speaker, think about things, and plans things ahead of time to become a better designer.
What really makes things simple? Simplicity is defined as the state of being simple (i.e. the state of easily understanding a topic or something that is not extremely complex). I feel that simplicity ranges from person to person, however. Just like the state of beauty, one might see an object as simple whereas another sees it as complex. The way one perceives an object to be simple is left to interpretation, and it is important that we have different perspectives to widen our thought process.

No comments:

Post a Comment