Sunday, April 3, 2011

Reading 1: Cover-XVIII Response

Before I move on to my response to the reading, I would like to say I am not a fan of people with a conceited, egotistical attitude. I despise those that arrogantly flaunt their pompous nature to everyone and are aware of it. I bring this up because the author’s preface reminded me of my pet peeve. Personally, I choose not to read an author’s prefaces and introductory notes until after I read his/her work because I see it as a form of bias. I do not want to give an author sympathy based on what he/she tells me until after I read the material.
Even though this is strictly my opinion, I found that the preface and explanation about how the book was organized was okay and up to par. I have read better prefaces which tied meaning to an author’s intention as to why he/she wrote the book, but because I did not read the material beforehand, I cannot say much. The clear explanation as to why and how this book was made gave me a better insight and I am intrigued to see what else the author will be providing in his book.
I did appreciate how the author explained each section of the book and explained what was important in each section. I do hope that this explanation will let me better understand the material he provides. I also do wish that other text books provided thorough explanations about the content material…
The layout of this textbook is very nice, however. The clean sophistication of the layout is very pleasing to the eye and there are not too many images that do not over power the text. I am amazed with the layout and I love the use of color that is incorporated throughout the book. Overall, I am excited to read more and see what else the author has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. I read the prefaces and introductory notes then read the rest. It makes me more interest on what had he done in order to make him successful. I think the best way to understand what the author try to explain to reader is by doing it. For me, try to do the things that author talk about is helpful in understand, you may try too.

    ReplyDelete