Monday, May 9, 2011

Reading 7

Reading about the OLPC laptop, XO-1, was very insightful. It made me realize that technology is rapidly changing and the fact that we are able to design and market a laptop for children is intriguing. As John Lasseter once said, “art challenges technology, but technology inspires the art.”  With today’s continuously developing technology, we must use our creative thought process to innovate something amazing. Technology is here for a reason and whether we like it or not, it’s here to stay and develop.
Reading the remainder of the book about modeling inspired me to design the model for the game that we presented on Wednesday. I’ve always wanted to explore with creating models for a design and I feel that would be an excellent activity to do in one of the upcoming classes. After reading more about how to set up models and the precautions we should avoid, I was really determined to create something. I feel with the right mindset, I could do anything, but I know for a fact when I actually get into the modeling process, I will hate it for dear life when I can’t accomplish modeling on the first try.
The guest perspective by Ian Cunningham was interesting and I agreed with a few key points he brought up, such as “the biggest challenge [in any industry or company] is to have clear communication.” In any type of environment, communication is always necessary whether it be in the form of verbal or written expression. There is especially a great deal of communication in the workplace because it shows a substantial amount of professionalism. Not being able to communicate well, or communicate in a manner that is inappropriate for the working environment is not only embarrassing for one’s employer, but for the person who lacks these communication skills.
Once again, my love-hate relationship for this book continues. I enjoy the fact that I am learning new things from it, but on the other the slow pace at which I am learning these new things is dreadful. I am constantly reading things that I already know and have learned in past lectures from other professors, which makes me feel very fidgety because I want to get to the new material I haven’t discovered yet. The author meticulously supplies us with vast amounts of details that lose my interest. I’m beginning to wonder if the costs outweigh the benefits.
Overall, this section of reading made me realize that trying to be perfect is still not good enough for me. Because perfection is in the eye of the beholder, and I must say that my ideal view of perfection is at a really high standard, nothing from me will ever be good enough. Yes, I may come across something that will suffice, but in my very few years of developing my artistic style, I have longed to create something I like and passionately enjoy. I have never once been satisfied of things that I do and I say that mostly because in this world, there’s always something new to uncover. Every day is a mystery and we should cherish the living moments of the present. We should not live the way someone tells us to—the decision is ours. Make use of yourself and understand that you are the ideal vision of perfection to someone dear and near.  

2 comments:

  1. Your last paragraph is like a confession of a perfectionist, I can totally relate. I'm a perfectionist in a lot of things I do, but I try and not let it get the best of me. I'm not saying you do, just confessing. I like that you said "There's always something new to uncover" becasue I forget that. Nothing is ever really set in stone and there's always room for change :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was intrigued by the project of creating and supplying laptops to young children, too. They sure must be, by far, the most durable ones out there! :D It's fascinating the way it talked about keeping the children connected to one another, though the laptops, at all times. I like the way this technology sort of illustrates the way we ARE all connected, at the same time that it connects us in more and more new ways.

    ReplyDelete