Finally, a section in this book worth reading! I gained a lot of knowledge about how important communication is, and how important presentations are. Whenever I make a presentation for class, I tend to just do the requirement and rarely do I go out of my way to make the presentation better. The main logic behind this is laziness, but I feel this section of the textbook was a wakeup call.
The author talks about how presentations should be accomplished in various fields of design and this was something I have been anticipating for a while since reading this book. The advice provided in just three pages was enough for me to gain the confidence to use my skill in in-class assignments and presentations. To be honest, I kind of want to do more exercises in class where we present our design ideas on presentation boards. Being able to practice our communication skills in a learning environment is a great place to build our skills for the upcoming job market. All that comes next is experience.
Personally, I felt the presentation board in the image used to show us what a concept board is was garish. The busyness of the board was overwhelming and it was very hard to focus on what the board was trying to communicate. Without the dashed lines on the next image, I would have never known what the cutout images were for. Yes, I kind of see how the board is supposed to reflect the personality of the outfit itself, but the board is very gaudy, tacky, and so flamboyant that it loses my attention and just brings me into a realm of confusion. With better organization, I feel the designer could still get his/her idea across, but in a cleaner and sophisticated matter that still reflects the edginess of the design.
“The venue of the presentation can affect its style and outcome.” This was actually something that really surprised me. I never knew that the venue had a general affect on the presentation of something itself. The advice provided within this section was very helpful and are things that I will definitely try to follow. Because I love office and art supplies, the general descriptions of each type of medium (including digital) was very interesting and made me want to go out to buy new supplies. In some cases, the author provides which brands to avoid and use which was very helpful, and in others stated how to present ideas using the materials. I really do want to go out and buy some new supplies now…
I don’t usually do any of the exercises at the end of each section, but after reading this section, I think I might try a few of them. For once I am glad the book entranced me and made me want to continue reading and further my knowledge about design.
By far, this section of reading was perhaps the most useful and helpful out of all of the sections we have been reading so far. The question for me is: was it worth reading all the other materials before getting to this stage? I have been struggling for a long time reading this book because it never captivated me and rarely interested me. The readings were redundant and were things I’ve learned before, but I am also trying to have a positive attitude towards this book. I know the author spent a lot of time and effort into writing the textbook, but his effort wasn’t working for me. Just with this chapter alone I feel he got me a little more interested, but I don’t want to get my hopes up in case the rest of the book is awful.
No comments:
Post a Comment