Monday, May 23, 2011

Reading 9

IT’S THE FINAL STAGE! I don’t remember ever being so happy about finishing a textbook before in my life. Either because this is the last stage of the reading, or because there won’t being anymore dreadful stages to read, I am extremely glad the book has come to an end. Seeing the first header of the section, “It’s a Wrap” made me feel a lot better about reading this textbook because I am very close to the finish line.
Like most portions of the book, I have once again read about things I have already learned in the past. I was anticipating something more from the last stage and I was thinking that the author would go out with a bang. The entire first portion of the reading dealt with working in teams and how we should collaboratively work together to better succeed with design. As far as I’m concerned, working with others has its ups and downs.
The positive sides about working in a team are that we get different perspectives form others and we aren’t just restricted to our own personal thoughts. Although some of us may think we are the best designers in the world, in actuality, we are not because there is always room for improvement. It is physically impossible for us to know absolutely everything about the world, and therefore, getting a different perspective on things helps us collaboratively learn things through constructive learning.
In my personal opinion, I would prefer not to work in a group because I tend to do most of the work. Very rarely have I been in a group where all my teammates have worked together and we created something interesting truly amazing. On most occasions, I somehow always get more than 1 slacker to work with me and I tend to do more of his/her work than I should. There is a feeling of failure that I cannot accept into myself. I will always try my best to revert from failure.
Feedback is probably one of the best things I have learned in my life to this day. Although it’s nice to have someone comment on your work and say why they like it or not, I feel these comments are useless in making me a better designer. I crave negative feedback because it proves to me that the work I’m doing is horrible and I use it as a stepping stone to get better. I feel having critiques in my art classes, as uncomfortable as they may be, is the best way to learn something because not only will it help an artist get better, but he/she given a different perspective from someone else which they can then apply to their own artwork.
I was reading the scheduling portion of the book and I can’t help but notice that there are different types of handwriting used in the calendar on page 179. Even though there’s probably some reasoning behind this, I feel that with the advice this book is supposed to be supplying in relation to this image implies we should share our calendars with others. I now understand why it is very important to effectively communicate our ideas because little details, such as the different forms of writing, can create a whole new message than what we actually intended.
Overall I feel that this book has provided with some new material that I thought was mildly interesting. I felt I struggled with trying to read this book because the material I have learned were things I have learned already and some are just common sense. Now that it’s over, I want to search for something different and that has more useful material. Although I finished reading about the design process, I feel the journey has just begun…

No comments:

Post a Comment