Monday, May 9, 2011

Blog Post 12

All I can really say about Wednesday’s class for my presentation board is, “oops…?” I was quite ashamed that I didn’t put more thought into the presentation of my game idea. I already knew a professional presentation involves a label with contact information and title with a coversheet to protect the work, but for some reason I didn’t think to put any of this on my board. That is a huge error on my part—for shame.
The bulk of the day focused on the overall presentation of our game ideas and how a professional presentation board should be set up, mounted and presented. The lecture and class activity we did about body language was interesting. I never thought that the way we move our body communicates something to others. I usually move my arms or cross them when I get uncomfortable sitting or standing in a position for a long time, but I never thought about the way I position them sends a message to a person watching me. It was really fascinating and made me want to learn more about body language.
After we finished the activity, we watched a film called The Power of 10 which is a stunning short film about how minuscule we are in the universe. The film starts with the camera zoomed in on a couple resting after a having a picnic in the park. We are then zoomed out of the park, soon to be world, solar system, planet, and even galaxy by increments of 10 to the power of 10 every 10 seconds. It was a fascinating short film that makes us realize how small and insignificant we are in the entire galaxy. Even after we are brought back into the world, the camera zooms in even farther beyond the layers of skin of the man resting at the picnic and shows how we are composed of even smaller elements.
The short film was intriguing and made me think about the state of our planet as well as the complexity of our bodies. Once the sun goes out, what will the universe look like and will humans of the future somehow start a new life elsewhere? Who are we to believe that we are the only living life forms in this galaxy? These questions arose after I watched the film and it puzzled me for the rest of the day. I never enjoyed science, but at times it entices me, making me want to learn more. The field is filled with unique discoveries, and even answers questions others are dying to learn about. It’s a thrilling area we should take more consideration into.

No comments:

Post a Comment